Friday, February 11, 2011

finally in Augsburg



Preparing food on the floor (still in our old apartment)

Some of our boxes in our new place, plus our refrigerator.

Our living room
Finally we have arrived in Augsburg. Actually we've been living here for 1 1/2 weeks already, and I can't believe how fast time has gone by and HOW MANY BOXES I unpacked...the two days of the actual move were craziness. I really have no desire to go through that again. On Monday, Feb. 1st, the men from the moving company came at around 9 am and it took them until 5 pm to empty out our whole apartment, and our garage plus pack up my new kitchen which Jeremy picked up from the store that same day. When they were done we had to start cleaning up, plus get the kids ready to sleep on mattresses in an completely empty apartment. It was a very strange feeling to have to stay there for one more night...Marit fell asleep just fine, but she woke up once and her screaming seemed so loud, since all the furniture of her room was gone. She scared herself, I think, and wouldn't really fall back asleep. We then got up at around 4 am to start driving down to Augsburg. It was freezing cold and I was so glad when the car finally warmed up and we were able to LEAVE.
When we got to our new place in Königsbrunn (which is very close to Augsburg), the moving company was already there. We talked briefly to our landlord and then the men started bringing our stuff in. Of course the door had to stay open for them, but that meant for all of us to keep our winter jackets and hats on the entire day. I am usually cold no matter what, but that day I was really cold. I had goose bumps all over my body for 10 hours straight and around noon time my patience was gone. I was frustrated, annoyed, scared, and tired. I wanted those men to leave us alone and I wanted to start unpacking the boxes. I wanted to finally arrive, and start living in a real home again!
Anyways, the guys left around 8 pm and the next day they came again to set up my new kitchen. They got done with that in the early afternoon and then we FINALLY HAD OUR NEW HOME TO OURSELVES!
We love our new house! It is located in a wonderful, wonderful neighborhood, with lots of kids playing on the streets. It couldn't be any better. Just two houses down the road lives another family with 3 little children. For you Americans, you have to understand, that here in Germany, families with more than 1 child are very rare. And when you are under thirty and have 3 children people pretty much think of you that you have never heard of birth control. No kidding! (When I was pregnant with Marit one of our neighbors came up to me and asked me if that pregnancy was planned. I couldn't believe it! )
We have so much space in our house, so much more than in our old apartment. The big girl's room is on the second level and is HUGE! (pictures will come soon) Joela and Lilian love having all this space.
Our bedroom is finally a real bedroom with a small office space. No more sleeping on mattresses on the floor or on our guest bed. Or trying to make our dining room area look like a bedroom. We are so thankful for our own space.
Marit's room is pretty big, too. For right now we put our guest bed in there as well.
The dining area is connected to the living room and is very bright and inviting .I love it and I can't wait to decorate it more.
And then there's my kitchen. I LOVE my new kitchen. It is such a blessing, Ican't even put it in words! For years I had to live with this makeshift kitchen, always dreaming of a 'real' kitchen. (Here in Germany you have to almost always bring your own kitchen along when you move. Our old kitchen survived 4 moves...always had to be changed to fit in the new place). Now we never really had the money to buy a new kitchen, they are so expensive. But this one was one sale and we got it for only 1/4th of the original prize. And it fits in PERFECTLY! As if it was designed to fit in our new home. I am so thankful!
Well, there are more thinks to share, but I should go for now. Jeremy and I will watch Bridget Jones part 2 now. We decided it is about time again for an evening spent in front of the TV. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment